Friday, November 23, 2012


This is going to be a short post mostly because yesterday was a very long day and I need sleep!

I woke up in the morning and thought I felt a pressure on my bladder. I kept thinking it was a UTI and had every intention of going to an urgent care center. But I didn't have burning or anything, so I brushed it off and ignored it. DH and I went to his cousin's house for a big family dinner, watched the Lions, then hit to road to drive 4 hours to my Dad's house.

About halfway there, I got a very sharp, burning feeling in my bladder. I thought maybe I had just waited too long to pee, so I stopped at a rest area and then got back on the road. But the sharp burning feeling kept coming and I spent the next 2 hours in pain and just begging to get there already.

We finally got there and told my dad we had to go to the hospital because I was dehydrated and pretty sure I had a UTI. He offered my some 7-Up. That's when I realized I was just going to have to tell him I was pregnant so it would make more sense why this was so urgent. I paused for a minute and said "well, the good news is that I am pregnant!" He said something like "oh really!" but looked very happy. Asked when I was due and then out the door we went. The waiting room was empty but it took an hour to get a room and another hour before being discharged.

They tested my urine but said it was "fairly benign" and that since I just started having symptoms that we likely caught it early. Doctor said if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's probably a duck. He prescribed Macrobid and they also said to drink lots of water and that I could take over the counter Azo for pain.

I am trying to relax today and drink lots of water...and also peeing every half hour. It pretty much sucks...but I am glad that I don't have any plans today and can just hang out.

I'm still pretty mad at myself for not listening to my gut feeling this morning, but had I gone this morning they likely would've tested my urine and it would've came back negative, so I suppose we actually saved ourselves some money by not going to urgent care.

I was seriously so scared! I felt bad. I had drank less water that day because I knew we would be traveling and that there weren't many places to stop to pee along the way. I also had a very sodium-filled Thanksgiving meal, so I'm sure that didn't help. In hindsight, the fact that I got so dehydrated was probably the reason I was able to notice the UTI so early!

My question is, isn't my OB supposed to be testing my urine at every visit? Or is that later on? We he do so from now on now that I've had a UTI?


  1. I always give a urine sample every time I go to the OB... hmmm....
    Hope you feel better. I hate UTI's.

  2. I just had one myself...the macrobid worked, and feeling much better now! Hang in there!

  3. BOO to UTI's feel better soon!!

    just wanted to let you know, I nominated you for the Liebster Award- go to my Blog for all the info-

  4. I have heard that some docs do a UA at every visit, but with my first pregnancy and this current one they have only done the initial UA at my first visit, and that is it. Hope you feel better soon.

    1. I've seen my OB twice so far, around 4 weeks and again at 6.5 weeks. No urine done at either appointment.

  5. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that but happy you and baby are okay! Since I hit 11 weeks, they test my urine at the beginning of each appointment.
    Hope you're feeling better! Big hugs!