Monday, February 13, 2012

Exercise, Losing Weight and TTC

As of late, I realized that I have two main goals in my life right now:

1.) Get pregnant
2.) Exercise and lose weight

And upon looking at both of those goals, trying to complete both at the same time poses somewhat of a problem.

Goal #1 requires eating healthy, taking pre-natals, temping, checking CM, using OPKs...basically what I have been doing - obsessing over everything involved with it and hoping that such an obsession will eventually render me pregnant. That and doing the deed. But this goal, ever since my second miscarriage last November, has not only been a goal, but has also become something I can't get out of my mind. I'm constantly thinking about it.

Now, in order to obtain any goal, you need to be able to focus on it. Concentrate on the task at hand. So...that being said, how can I possibly obtain goal #2 when my mind has been so clearly focused on getting pregnant. That's my dilemma.

In some ways, the two goals CAN go hand in hand. I can treat goal #2 as a means of obtaining goal #1. If I am exercising - running and lifting weights, I want to also focus more on eating more balanced meals - fewer calories, less fat, and just generally eating better. At the same time, I can continue taking my pre-natal vitamins and drinking more water and less caffeine. All of these things won't necessarily get me pregnant, but they couldn't hurt. Or at least prepare my body for pregnant better.

In the past, particularly the past few years, exercise was my number one priority. I was training for half marathons, lifting weights to tone muscles, and my weight was in check. I was probably in the best shape of my life. Until I got pregnant, and that all went out the window. I've gained about 10 lbs. from the lowest I have been in the last 10 years. I'm now 123 lbs. I know, I know...not a bad weight at all. I'm 5'2", so I'm well within a healthy range.

Ideally, I'd like to get back to 115 lbs.
I want to be able to run/walk 3/2 intervals for 3 miles without huffing and puffing.
I'd like to get back to lifting - to at least tone my muscles

In the meantime, it's going to be a struggle. I'm still going to be actively trying to conceive.
That includes: temping, OPKs, charting, checking CM, SMEP, prenatals

No comments:

Post a Comment