Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Fears Somewhat Calmed

My mom had to talk me into going to L&D yesterday. I kept thinking it was just a bladder infection, but in the back of my mind, I couldn't stop worrying about whether everything was okay with baby. Finally, my mom convinced me and so we went. We went to the ER first as we had no idea where Labor & Delivery was...and as I went to check into the ER and told them I was almost 25 wks, they had someone come down and wheel me up to L&D. Thank goodness. I got right into a room!

They started with a urine sample, which I expected, then hooked me up to the monitor to check for contractions.  They also listened to baby's heart with the doppler (a healthy 150 bpm). They then got an IV going, which I also didn't expect and the nurse did a pretty crappy job putting it in. I'm usually pretty pain tolerant as I've had a ton of IVs when I've had kidney stones, but I really whinced when she put this one in.

Once it was in the doctors came in (both women and young, but super nice). I actually felt more comfortable that they were all women even though my OB is male. Anyway, they got some swabs from my cervix to check for infection (ouch, hate that speculum) and then she checked my cervix (which didn't really hurt just felt like lots of pressure). She said my cervix was closed and thick (great signs).

They ran labs for preterm labor, UTI, and any other infections. This took a while, so in the meantime, mom and I watched my contractions on the monitor. They got more and more regular as time went on...maybe every 5 minutes. They weren't super strong, but got up to 50 on the monitor.

Finally, the doctor came back in after checking all the labs and speaking to my OB. No UTI or other infection. No preterm labor. And definitely having contractions, but not often enough or strong enough to make any changes to my cervix. I was given a prescription for Procardin to take as needed when I start feeling contractions.

So overall, a good visit considering baby is just fine. My next appt with my OB is Thursday, so we will see what he says about it. Not sure if he will monitor or check me more regularly or just blow it off as BH contractions. We shall see!

3 comments:

  1. glad all is well and your mind is at ease. Always worth it to get checked out to make yourself feel better. Hope your new medicine works an all continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy once again that everything went smoothly. I always wished there would be a book made for us specifically that had all the answers for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and hoping you're relaxing and enjoying a comfy weekend!
    Xoxox
    Maria

    ReplyDelete